Most Americans do not want gas tax hike

Most Americans do not want gas tax hike

One issue the new Congress will have to face is how to fund the nationês crumbling infrastructure. As has been noted many times by politicians from both parties, the Highway Trust Fund is no longer adequate to fund our transportation needs. It is slated to run out of money again this year. The gas tax has not been raised in more than 20 years. Some members of Congress have suggested that now is the time.

A recent report, Beyond the Beltway: Insights Initiative, was produced by two communications groups, SKDKnickerbocker and Benenson Strategy Group. The authors surveyed Americans on a range of issues, including the gas tax. They say in the report that if the Highway Trust Fund runs out of money, many infrastructure projects would be stopped, which some economists say would result in the loss of 700,000 jobs.

Still, 67 percent of those surveyed for the report said Congress should not raise the gas tax. The remaining 33 percent said Congress should raise the tax by 15 cents a gallon.

Download Bulletin PDF