Hyundai and Subaru received most of the 2018 Top Safety Pick+ Awards from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, with the rest split among Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, BMW and Ford. The requirements were strengthened this year to include higher standards for headlights and passenger-side protection in small, overlap front crashes.
“Headlights have long been treated as design elements instead of the critical safety equipment that they are,” said IIHS President Adrian Lund. “We’re pleased to see this changing.”
Here are this year’s 15 winners:
- Small cars: Kia Forte, Kia Soul, Subaru Impreza, Subaru WRX
- Midsize cars: Subaru Legacy, Subaru Outback, Toyota Camry
- Large luxury cars: BMW 5 series, Genesis G80, Genesis G90, Lincoln Continental, Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Midsize SUVs: Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Midsize luxury SUVs: Mercedes-Benz GLC.